PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lining up with the centreline
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 17:25
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicholas,

I don't play the simulation games, but I recall that some of the simulations could be steered on the ground using a joystick that rotated side to side for yaw. Not really realistic, but it may be one option.

Rudders are useful in the takeoff after about 60 to 80 knots or so. Rudder pedal steering is minimal, but the use of a steering tiller in the airplane makes corrections easy early in the takeoff roll, and during taxiing.

If you're simulating a big airplane, remember that when entering the runway, one must taxi past the centerline before turning. How far depends on the nosewheel placement relative to the cockpit, as well as the main gear. One generally goes past the turning point by some distance, in the cockpit, before swinging the nose back around to line up on the new centerline for a taxiway or runway. Trying to keep the nosewheel on the centerline all the time, especially in turns, can mean the mains go off the taxiway or crush the taxiway lights. If you start your turn to the runway centerline as soon as it's directly off to your right or left when you enter the runway, you'll nearly always be misaligned, because you haven't gone far enough onto the runway before making the turn.

A good way to visualize it is to use a model airplane...or do what one check airman whom I know, recommends. He suggests that people go play with a model semi-truck before taxiing the airplane (a 747, in our case). Get an idea of visualizing the turns before actually making them. It's easier when it comes time to actually go taxi the beast.

The other things is watching speed in the taxi. We limit our taxi speed to 20 knots straight, and a maximum of 10 knots in a turn (usually considerably less). This prevents a heat build-up during taxi from tire flex (some places have nearly three miles of taxiing, which can really heat up tires on a heavy airplane, just from the taxiing), and it prevents unwanted excursions during taxi from becoming big excursions. We taxi slowly, and we must, because we're large and heavy. We often see smaller airplanes blowing by at fast speeds. They can get away with it, but it's a poor practice.