PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZALPA Tiki Tour
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 21:04
apache

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alpapilot,

unfortunately, being in business means that you HAVE to spend money occasionally.
I think it was GREAT that Air NZ fronted for free tickets to and from the west coast, and the union publicly acknowledges that fact.
In the newsletters, it states how great the contacts are that they have made and what issues were sorted out/raised.
NO WHERE does it state or imply that they were there on business for Air NZ! in fact, my understanding of it is that they were there to gain background knowledge and understanding of fights that have already been fought by other carriers/unions.
Forewarned is forearmed! You cannot put a price on information.
Like all businesses, and NZALPA IS a business, occasionally they have a year or two where costs outweigh income. Often they have an audit and a review of costs, and income and a restructure is normally the outcome.
At the northern branch meeting, which WAS well attended, the issue of leave bank days was raised, and discussed. Not only was it raised, but raised BY the union FOR discussion! they are aware of the imbalance, and are addressing it.
Not everything can be fixed overnight.
there are still a few fights which have to be fought, and probably through the courts, and this WILL cost money. But this is what the purpose of the union is - to fight for the rights and conditions of their members.
IF you want a union which fights for nothing and has millions of members' dollars in the bank "for a rainy day", then join an Aussie union!
I would much prefer that MY union be spending MY money on ensuring My rights and conditions, and looking to the future, as I wish to enjoy a good job for many years to come. If this is to be achieved by meeting people in THEIR backyard and getting their insights/hindsights or fighting in the courts to prove that we won't be bullied- then so be it!
having little money, or being slightly in debt is FAR FAR from being bankrupt!