PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How will my IFR flight outside of controlled airspace by handled?
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 20:47
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How will my IFR flight outside of controlled airspace by handled?

I'm thinking of an IFR flight from Perth (EGPT) to Norwich. I glance at the standard route document reveals a route that is mostly outside of controlled airspace and indeed the way I intend to fly it will mean that the Newcastle CTA will be the only controlled airspace I will need to negotiate (the standard route is unacceptable due to the high MEA on some portions of L602). My question is which ATC units along the way, apart from departure and destination obviously, will know about my existence? Will Newcastle for example know?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question but I've always assumed that unless your IFR flight has a portion in designated airways it will be treated the same as a VFR plan, ie just departure and destination know. Is this correct?

I'm using EuroFPL to file which I believe feeds directly into the Eurocontrol website.

I posted this same question earlier in the ATC forum and got very little response.

Thanks in advance...