PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Down Time'
Thread: 'Down Time'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 17:08
vancouv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a lot of different views, but this is what I found when I was learning. It's easy to have a month without flying during the winter, and personally I found that after such a long gap my flying had definitely suffered. So it was sometimes hard to do anything except catch up. This seemed like a bit of a waste of money.

So, I concentrated on doing my written exams, and hung around the club as much as possible. I spent the time talking flying, and tried to hitch a lift with anyone who might be able to get out. Often the weather was not good enough for me to do anything useful, but OK for more experienced pilots.

If you've been circuit bashing solo then I assume you'll be off navigating soon. There's a lot to learn about this, so make the most of instructors who are hanging around and absorb everything they have to tell you.

I also booked longer slots, say 2 hours rather than 1, so if the weather was OK I could make the most of it. However, depending on what I was doing 2 hours could turn out to be too long - I used to find it very tiring, so it paid to know what I was going to be doing. My club only charges if you fly, so 2 hours watching the rain cost the same as 1 hour!

Good luck!