PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Down Time'
Thread: 'Down Time'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 16:31
Adam1919

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Down Time'

Hi everyone,

I wondered what your thoughts were on getting through the unvaoidable down time at this time of year due to the weather.

For example I started in August this year and up to now have amassed 20 hrs and went solo at 16 hrs, the rest have been solo circuits. I have now hit a brick wall as my last 5 lessons have been cancelled due to the weather which I of course understand. However flying on weekends due to working full time means a baron spell due to the weather can often mean 2-3 weeks, sometimes more with no lessons.

I knew this time would come as had been more than lucky getting to 20 hrs up to now (I had aimed to just get nicely into double figures by Xmas just as a point to aim for). So I am ahead of schedule.

I raise this as wondered if any one had comments on the following:

1) Given I have passed RT practical/written and air law I still have 4 'exams' to do should I just focus on getting these done now ad have to accept I wont get many hours in between now and the spring? It has been suggested to me that my focus next ( I am just about to take Met) should be the nav exam as not only will that prep me for the next part of the flying training syllabus but I have to pass that before I do the qual X-country?

2) Can anyone comment on the impact of large unavoidable weather related flying gaps as far as impact on continuity? As in can you loose some of your new found skills because you simply dont get to practise them as often?

3) Anyones experiences on the up's and downs of lesson bookings who like me wanted to achieve their PPL within 12-14 months?

All comments welcome. My instructor has said a few times my flying is very good so full of confidence but worried I could inadvertantly take a few steps back in my progress as Dec-Mar will prob be a write off!

cheers
Adam