PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Communication - Are we understanding everyone?
Old 22nd Aug 2002, 18:46
Sheep Guts
Props are for boats!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZAZTEC,

I suppose "Spanglish" as you put it is easier than say Mandarin, but what I meant to say is, that for Pilots and Controllers alike that speak English, as their second or even third language face an uphill battle. I know that when I try and speak Spanish, 99% of the time I am thinking in English before I speak.

I wonder with all the technology around today electronic translaters etc. I wonder if something could be adapted to, or for aviation?

We in Australia, are being exposed to more different accented English on the airwaves TODAY, due to the fact that our country is now a more conducive environment for training. We just have to adapt, as Weasil has said, use standard phraseology!

I got a shock when I first flew, outside AUSTRALIA in Central America, my eyes were peeled for a few months until I mastered Spanish.

Allways be sure to understand the use of "Say Again" when needed, I often hear Pilots refrain from using it or just say "disregard "and it complicates things later on. Its just because they feel its not professional to ask the controller again. This is a dangerous Senario I know!