PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo today...
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 23:24
Ryan5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For 'the record' I went solo after 20 hours
You should probably hang up the flying hat now and save yourself the bother if it took you 20 hours to go solo!! I myself went solo in 7 hours. Then again, I was fortunate enough to have no previous lessons cancelled for Tech/Bad weather, a great instructor and a familiarity with aviation.

When the time came for my first solo the instructor simply said "Next one's a full stop'. I remeber thinking that was a quick hour but after a taxi to the end of the runway he took his gear and instructed me to do 'another one by yourself and then come back'. I was one of the lucky ones. At that time I had the funds available to fly regulary and the weather played ball. I'm sure you were ready long ago but in this game one has to wait for everything to line up at the same time.

The time it takes one to go solo is often used as a yardstick to measure their flying ability; other factors are overlooked. The time it takes to solo means absolutely dick. I say well done that man!! You have logged your first 'in command' entry and done what so many people never achieve. You have soared above the homes, workplaces and lifes of many people and come home to share the tail. I would like to say its an experience you will never forget but since its only a year or so since mine I can't say that, what I can say is there is so much more to enjoy and achieve which all lie before you. Massive congrats!

Well done that man!!

Ryan