PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 21st Nov 2010, 22:54
zalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212man
Quote:
It lacks a certified auto-hover

I'm curious as to why TC haven't certified it. I know the FAA haven't, but that is more a function of them getting the aircraft certification mixed up with Ops approvals, and is not showing them in a good light. The SAR AFCS has been certified by EASA for a few years now - hence the UK Coast Guard aircraft using it.
I had the same thought.

It is a really amazing scenario that is also not putting TC or the offshore industry in a good light now that winter is here.

It also begs questions about Cougar's claims (several years old) of having an All Weather SAR capability.

http://www.cougar.ca/media/images/br...cougar-sar.pdf

In practice, despite the FLIR, Nitesun and NVGs, their AWSAR capability seems to be based on dropping SKAD: Cougar Helicopters || A VIH Aviation Group Company

Another claim, that "Cougar Helicopters is the first operator, civilian or military to utilize the S-92 in a SAR role", looks less impressive when the actual non-auto hover fit is considered, rather than the brochure.

They did manage to rapidly rescue Robert Dekker after the accident though so perhaps I should not be to harsh.