PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 19:57
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A readable CVR and FDR would "rule in" conclusions in the event tree(s) about why the aircraft was upset. Analysis of a recovered hull and debris might "rule out" other conclusions. Pardon the double negative, but I cannot imagine how BEA could refuse to continue the search! As mm43 counsels, stay tuned for a new phase in the new year.

Absolutely in agreement, but if we wait too long, corrosion may destroy the data.
Also, kudos to HN39 for his ACARS message timing analysis.

I've stated it before, but I'll repeat again. BEA & Airbus would have serious credibility problems if they gave up on AF447 and we then had another similar accident. These searches are expensive-but in the big scheme of things, not that expensive. Should BEA give up the search, that would allow any 3rd party to conduct a search of their own, which would be embarassing, particularly if successful.
If we ever find the cause of AF447, I personally believe it will tie in to the protections built into the flight controls. Sorry Airbus, but leaving the aircrew no way to override protections except by a cumbersome degrade procedure was not smart. When the Fit hits the Shan, seconds count. The recent Perpignan accident report shows how dangerous an Airbus can be when presented with erroneous flight data of the type resulting from a common mode failure.

For those who feel the need to keep this thread visible by proposing continuing conspiracy theories, I wish you would stop. I think what you end up doing is trivializing this thread in most peoples minds. Lets try to only post news and new theories/questions and keep the thread on track.