PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 16:02
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Vortex
I'm wonder if all 4 Olympus 593 all died in flight and unable to restart. Is it possible to be able to land at the nearest airport?
The "venom" is in the tail of your question.....
Best glide angle for Concorde is in the order of 1:10, so with an multiple failure at 40,000ft (7.5 miles) your "nearest airport" would have to be well within a distance of 75 miles.
(BTW, I think somebody earlier already mentioned that a large part of the actual descent from top-of-descent was with the engines barely above idle, so that it was much like a glide. It was during the final hold, approach and landing, that it was preferable to have a few engines left.....)

Four-engine surges have happened a few times during flight testing, but I don't think there ever has been a four-engine flameout.

Re the SAAB Draken, I would think a dead-stick landing would be possible, but only IF you could arrive 'overhead' at about 10,000ft and IF you were well aware of the horrendous sink rate 'on the back of the drag curve' once you committed to the final approach and landing.
Even the F-104G, not known for its gliding qualities, could be and has been landed dead-stick - there is a section on the subject in the flight manual. On the 104, things were further complicated by the fact that without an engine you also lost the "blown flaps", so your landing speed was a lot higher.

In Western Europe, with its densely populated areas on the one hand, and a lot of airbases on the other hand, there were certainly cases where you thought twice before 'punching out'.

CJ