PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force dispersal query
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 13:16
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To fill in Allison's point about Finningley.

Finningley was a Waddington responsibility as far as manning with operational crews.

When the alert was sounded 230 OCU woud generate 4 aircraft and OCU aircrew would complete combat checks, weapons would be loaded and the aircraft would wait for Waddo crews to arrive and bring them 'on state.'

To that end Waddo expected to get 4 crews assembled, kitted, and on the road in under 2 hours, at Finningley in 3 and on state before 4 hours were up. I had to ensure that crews allocated to the Finningley aircraft were the most reliable at reporting in when the hooter went. In that first 2 hours Waddo also had to generate the QRA spare so needed at least 8 crews, including the QRA crews inside the 2 hours and a further 16 crews asap to continue generation. Typically Waddo would have 20 aircraft up inside 5 hours hours or 24 including Finningley.

On one occasion when we also had the rump of the Mark 1 aircraft a total of 31 aircraft (including 5-6 at Finningley) were generated and we ran out of crews. The OCU staff then formed scratch crews to bak fill the Waddo spare aircraft. I ended up, as a Mk 2 Nav Rad, on a Mk 1 aircraft on QRA and at the same time was the Wing Operations officer for the exercise. We simply ran out of officers of all descriptions on the station.