PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - At Last - A Voice of Reason
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2010, 10:30
balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO experience is getting the crap scared out of you, and learning from it. A 200 hour pilot probably hasnt been in that situation. Some 2000 hour pilots haven't yet either, but there are far fewer of them.

Experience is a "gut" feeling that something isnt right. It is an instinct. It is rat cunning, it is survival, it is interacting with other humans in a mature fashion.

There are probably a few 200 hour pilots who have natural abilities in these areas, but I would suggest not too many. I know I wasnt. I had to earn my experience. I scared myself. I listened and interacted with guys who had been there and done that. I earned the right to my position through EXPERIENCE, not hours.

So, I guess what I am saying is those 1500 hours suggested as a minimum? It isnt about the hours. It is about the experiences that are IN the hours. Those hours are a general mimimum to give you some experiences, not just experience.

Look deeper. Cadets with 200 hours won't have these experiences, through no fault of their own, unless they too earn their story.

Those who havent read "Fate is the Hunter" by Earnest K Gann, I humbly suggest that you do. Therein lies "experience".