PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Website
Thread: NAS Website
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2002, 15:03
Capn Bloggs

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Ulm,

I can assure you, my son, that there are far more VFR pilots heads down looking at their GPS than a commercial crew (that probably knows how to actually use the thing!). And I can assure you that I have seen more VFR smasher drivers who have NO IDEA about what is going on, the radio being the only saving grace. Have you done SI Approaches as two-crew often? I can assure you they are far safer than doing a circuit when it come to looking out. Most of the in-cockpit duties are done BY 5nm, not on mid-downwind just where all the bugsmashers might be!

No comment about the Non-ICAO VFR climb, eh?

I will say again that the only danger to aviation in the regions is VFR larrikins who refuse to talk. We have beepbacks to solve the "off freq" problem, and we (currently) have DTI (or full [over]control with E in LLAMP), and a mandatory radio environment for most "big" operations. I haven't heard these rednecks who want CTAFs also say that they want traffic lights or seatbelts banned??!! Get with it: it's the 2002s, there are big, fast aircraft that cannot be turned quickly enough even if I do see Dick Smith before he fills my windscreen! Get a radio and use it.

Re the "no CASA personnel" on the NAS team (SYD RAPAC post), I assume that Mike Smith has quit CASA then, has he? I will, of course, stand corrected if the Mike Smith doing all the talking for NAS and DS is NOT the Mike Smith from CASA!