PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 20:10
Captain Dart

Location: with the other ex-CX pond scum (a zoologist was once head of Flight Ops)
Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Mtcaust, I take your point but if you are successful with CX selection and training, eventually I am going to be sharing a cockpit with you.

The 'shiny jet' novelty will have long worn off (they're not so shiny anyway after exposure to Asia's pollution). It will be three o'clock in the morning at FL 380 over pretty much any third world country you may care to name, possibly with a typhoon or thunderstorms waiting on arrival in HKG. You will be living in sub-standard accommodation, not remunerated in accordance with your skills and responsibilities and you will be looking at years just to F/O let alone command. After paying your rent you may even not be able to afford to eat properly or relax on your days off.

And I will have to listen to your troubles and perhaps cope with a crew member under stress and not performing at optimum level. Long haul flying for CX involves fatigue, jet lag, sometimes fighting sleep, the close confines of a cockpit with other crew for hour after hour after hour, dreadful weather during the Asian summer and, in this company, roster disruption, 'checking' rather than 'training' and very aggressive management.

A 'reasonable person' may tolerate all this on A or maybe B scales, but on the package that you will be on, don't say you were not warned.

Last edited by Captain Dart; 20th Nov 2010 at 20:22.