PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which road to take?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 14:35
RichardH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having come from a similar work background to you I should like to offer the following thoughts. You seem to be thinking this through in a sensible manner and you are right to be concerned about the finance aspect, do not fall for all the marketing crap about pilot shortages (last time was in 1940) or guaranteed jobs, they don't exist, you must minimize your risks.

As you are still young and enjoying your job I should stick to it and get at least 3 years nitty-gritty experience under your belt at the same time saving some money for the future. In the meantime why not start on your PPL at weekends, having got a Class 1 medical to start with, this is a no risk option.
You can then proceed at your own pace, be this distance learning or taking 6 months off for ground school (what I did 20 years ago) then on to the flying.

Other than the fact you are interested in the MSc I can't see any useful gains from it, you already have a degree in a vocation of high demand. I always advise people having a back-up career prior to getting their heads in the clouds. You shall not be getting "several confirmed job offers" going down the pilot route.

You must do what is right for YOU, for your circumstances (time, money, ability) everbody's situation is different so you can only get an overview from this or similar forums.

Please PM me if required.