PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - thunderstorm system - acid smell - hen or egg?
Old 20th Nov 2010, 13:18
airyana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The smell, could it have been ozone ?

I'm not sure if you're wondering or just describing the difference between WXR displayed when changing from MAN to AUTO and vice versa.

the AUTO mode usually provides an optimized WXR picture by taking the different components of the radar beams and combining them in a single picture.

The overflight protection feature, which is available only in AUTO Mode, is usually the reason for the different picture you get when selecting MAN.

Many (not implying that you are one of them, just been thinking about this topic for a while now) are not keen to understand how new Multiscan WXR radars and their automatic features work, when a similar situation to the one described above is encountered, the quick judgement that the Auto mode is not accurate or is not reliable is what usually leads to using only the Man mode until the weather is cleared, doing so wastes a lot of expensive and safety enhancing features available only in the automatic mode.

please share your thoughts and tell me if I am overlooking anything with regards to benefiting from the Auto mode ...

(I apologize for the slight drift )