PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian pilots to speak English
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 12:57
Lord Spandex Masher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7777
...and I didn't ask you for your personal yet useless opinion. Maybe you should stick to national flying, if you get soooo scared. Your counter arguments are generic, overblown, baseless and indicate very little experience.
Oh well, you got it anyway, if you don't want opinions or comment then don't get involved in discussions. If my comments are so generic, overblown, baseless and inexperienced then you should have no problem at all in addressing them, funny that you didn't though. The rest of your extremely presumptuous attempt to discredit me is, and can only be, groundless nonsense.

All of my professional flying has been international. I, therefore, have a fairly good working knowledge of all the languages of all of the countries that I fly to and over. On many occasions I have had to translate what is going on for my F/O, ergo the F/O has less SA than I do, if nobody is able to translate then both the F/O and Captain have less SA than they could. Get it yet?

Also as I have such experience, and by no means am I the only one, I can see both sides of the argument.

BrATCO, of course I expect that. But, I have witnessed ATC, obviously stressed, attempt to transmit repeatedly to a non-national airline in his own language at high speed several times until the penny dropped and he transmitted in English. Then the message got through but...!

There are also many national airlines who employ non-national crew. Now you have a national airline callsign, usually using the national language, being spoken to, as is the habit, in the national language but with nobody on board who speaks it! Again................and the penny drops.

Not only that but even if you don't think the information is pertinent to me, and 99% of the time it may not be, it's still a little bit of gen I can store away and use if and when it becomes necessary.

There is only one solution to these problems - Chinese Mandarin, it is the most widely used language in the world.

Last edited by Lord Spandex Masher; 20th Nov 2010 at 13:10.