PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which road to take?
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 12:54
future captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which road to take?

Hi guys,

I have been on this forum for over 6 years now, mostly as a reader rather than a poster...I joined when I was doing my GCSE's if I remember correctly, and since then have completed my A Levels and a degree in Computer Science.

Upon graduation (month later) I was fortunate that I was in a position to pick from several confirmed job offers. I am currently working in the UK as a graduate software developer, earning just over 25k.

However for as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a commercial pilot, and when I bump into old friends the first thing they always ask is, "You a pilot yet". Although I enjoy software development, I really want to give the pilot "thing" a shot.

I have a place on a masters course (2011) at a reputable university in the UK for a one year MSc in a Mathematical field that I am interested in.

I am really confused on what to do though...I want to continue working for at least a year since I am gaining good experience at the moment. But is it worth me doing the masters I am interested in and then thinking about pilot training? Or leave the masters? (This option I am finding hard since the area is something that is of interest to me).

I am fairly confident I could return to work after the masters, but this is where I am confused...Should I return to work and go modular while trying to hold down a Job (how easy is this?) or look to go integrated, although the financial burden is worrying.

P.s I am 22 at the moment.

Thanks in advance.