PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Texas to Peru in a 206B
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 11:43
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A strong word of caution before you consider shipping - Customs and import duties.

Many countries charge import duties on goods (and they don't differentiate on what it is - helicopter or otherwise). Even a 5% import duty charged on a USD $500k Bell 206 is very significant and many customs and clearance procedures for shipped goods can be as bad as the duties levied. Even trying to process the goods as a temporary importation can lead to customs bond requirements which will be onerous. If you must ship it, be very diligent on obtaining a clear written directive on any goods to be shipped, from the country to which it would be imported, and don't accept a brokers word or letter because they will always tell you it's not a problem until it's there (you would want it from the customs and excise authority itself and this may prove difficult if not impossible to obtain). Once the goods are consigned and shipped, the importing country won't care how long it takes to clear customs or if it clears at all - so be prepared. Of course if you are working for a larger international company, they may have established channels through which this can all be processed.

I have imported/exported a few helicopters and have experienced the complications and expense of shipment. As a result, and where possible, I just ferried them (mostly Caribbean). US/UK customs are always more straight forward. When importing to the foreign country, if the aircraft was coming from say Europe, I would ship it to the US, uncrate it, and prepare it for flight where we had lots of support or service centers and then ferry it from there. Sending it back was always more straight forward because most countries don't care about export taxes or what's going out (they raise money from imports), so it is just a matter of packing it up on the flat rack or container and shipping it back home.

Consider your options carefully, but a well planned ferry with support from a ground handler will usually be much more straight forward for you.

My hard won two cents worth.