PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The SEED TROPHY
Thread: The SEED TROPHY
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 11:32
grobbling about

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You've all done very very well

I was JEngO on 43(F) Sqn when it was awarded the trophy in 1985. Mr Seed presided over a parade in our hangar at Leuchars but the trophy was not present. He wore a dark (maybe black) suit and a bowler hat and reminded me of Mr Grace from 'Are You being Served'. Follwing a short congratulatory statement along the lines "You've all done very very well", his driver opened the boot of his Rolls Royce to reveal the world's supply of pork pies.

The officers retired to the Officers Mess for lunch to find the trophey assembled on the top table. I have told this story a number of times and have been looking for a photo of the trophey as it is an immense monstrosity! Well things were bigger in those days, take waggon wheels for instance!! Rumour had it that as Amy Johnson flew from the UK to Australia, she bought silver pieces from wherever she stopped. These were later assembled to make a trophey which centered on, if I recall correctly, a silver bowel which formed the base of a tower surrounded by sphinxes and other silver items. From the tower silver biplanes were suspended. Rumour also had it that Mr Seed bought it believing it to be the Schneider Trophey and when he opened the box there was an "OMG how do I get rid of this?" moment.