PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian pilots to speak English
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 09:32
BrATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone,
Explain me how pilots, even with their T-CAS equipment (range around 30 miles ?), even with everyone speaking the same language can get any FULL situation awareness when the situation "spreads" over more than 150 miles around them, up to 30 planes on the same freq...
Controllers can be aware of a conflict more than 200 miles before the planes can even see each-other on their equipment.

I don't dare pretend being aware of the situation in the sectors next to mine, even though my colleagues speak the same language(s). That's why we need co-ordinations, whatever the language.

As I already said in other posts, I think my French colleagues and me are ready to speak only English on the freq (already the case more than 90% of the time in Brest ACC), but I don't foresee any improvement for pilot's awareness.

As for Russians speaking only English, I'm afraid the only result will be that some of the Russian pilots won't understand anymore (or as well) what they're requested for, as described by s_bakmeijer.
Hope not.

Lord Spandex Masher,
How would you know that you hadn't missed a vital piece of information if it was transmitted in a language that you did not understand? Don't bother actually because it'll be nonsense. I'll answer for you. YOU WOULDN'T.
Could you imagine that maybe a vital information (which YOU are concerned about) would be transmitted to YOU in YOUR language ?

When you hear a controller screaming : "Immédiatement, tournez a gauche 30 degrés pour évitement, immédiatement, ŕ gauche 30 degrés !", then you may consider this info is not for you.
When you hear : " Immediately, your callsign, turn left 30 degrees, avoiding action, immediately, your callsign, left 30 !", consider you are concerned.
You will get the traffic infos in YOUR language in a few seconds... However, as you were already aware of the situation, should I assume you already know why you've got to turn ?