PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HRH Flt Lt Wales
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2010, 03:14
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Okay, I'm going to be a bit provocative here. However, I've thought this for a while and it follows on from posts 50 & 51, which alluded to the following in a rather light hearted way. However, I believe we are heading for a constitutional crisis.

Her Majesty the Queen's now 84, Prince Charles is 62. Let's say the Queen reigns for another fifteen years, of which there's every every chance, based on her Mother's longevity. That would make Prince Charles 77, and Camilla round the same age, an old, self confessed adulterous and to be honest not particularly attractive couple.

In contrast we'll have William and Kate, late thirties in age, attractive, untainted by scandal (we trust), most likely a lovely young brood of kids, successful, well liked, popular (not just in this country but throughout the world) and in the prime of their lives.

JUST WHO DO WE THINK THE COUNTRY'S GOING TO WANT ON THE THRONE?

Okay, I know there's the proper line of succession, etc. But here's my thesis. I think the country will speak. There'll be such an upsurge in favour of William succeeding over his Father that Prince Charles will find it very difficult to accede to the throne, especially when sitting with him will be Camilla.

Set against that, of course, is the fact that Prince Charles doesn't really give a flying **** what the people think. I still think he'll be crowned as a face saver, but will reign a max five years before handing over.

But I think it's a possibility that the Monarchy and the Church of England need to start developing some strategies to cope with now.