PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2010, 21:00
M2dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Vortex
So if we select E Low at M>1.7 the N2 will ovespeed and hence higher fuelflow. Am I understand it right? Also, what E mode provide the
best config shape [lest sat suitable] that provide a con-di nozzle for
maximize thrust. [Not open to wide that exhaust can't reach M1 at the
throat of Prim nozzle].
Not quite; remember that the N1s and N2s in the E SCHEDULE graph are non-dimentional. ie. they vary with temperature. As the temperature rises (with increasing Mach Number) the scheduled spool speeds increase. What really happens (I did not explain it correctly first time) is that the much lower N1 demanded by the use of E LOW at high speed results in a much further closed primary nozzle than normal, pushing up TET (and EGT) and we run hard into the EGT limiter, which claws fuel flow off, to the extent that the ramps and spill doors come down to their preset limits, almost as if there is a flame-out. The net result is a huge reduction in thrust. The condi was formed as the primary nozzle naturally took up a near fully open position in supersonic cruise and the wide open secondary nozzle buckets completed the picture. The schedule used here was E HIGH. I've noticed a couple of errors on the graph, the main one being that E HIGH is used with reheat off but with Vc > 220 KIAS
And another quesrion here, the engine control unit use which parameter to control the thrsut. The EGT, or N2, or P7.
Apart from being set as a variable limit, EGT normally played no role in the control loops (there were 2 loops, the 'governor' and 'positioner' loops). P7 played no part whatsoever in any case, the main variables were; N2, throttle valve position, throttle transmitter position, T1, total pressure and static temperature..

Feathers McGraw
If you watch some of the more recent Concorde programmes, such as "Concorde's Last Flight", you'll hear and see the reaction of the various people (including our very own Dude) from the BA side of things as they talk about their charge.
Oh nooooo... I've been outed
Best regards

Dude

Last edited by M2dude; 20th Nov 2010 at 04:10.