PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 32(TR) Sqn - Why do we have/need them?
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2010, 13:04
Excommunicator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winco,
No offence taken by your asking the question re 32 Sqn. I hope that the answers here on both the Sqn and Northolt (which has very much become a London focus in recent years) have answered any doubts you may have. Operationally I can vouch for GW1, Sierra Leone, Balkans, GW2 and Afghanistan (corporate's a little before my time I'm afraid!). The current deployments have been ongoing without a break since Jan 03; quite a burden for a sqn with only 8 fixed wing platforms. It's not just VIPs though either, its anything and anyone that needs a fast taxi (this can range from vaccines to SF to the "man who can fix the computer that's gone down", as well as the more regular customers). To put it in context, with the extended lay down of early GW2, getting from Saudi to say Southern Oman for a meeting would be a 5 day round trip as visa restrictions precluded moving other than by military means and the flow patern meant you had to route via Akrotiri with a night stop each way. With a 125 available to the command team they could do it in an afternoon. A truly flexible operational capability that provides great value for money.

Hope this helps...