PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cocpit design requirements
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2010, 12:06
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Disregarding for a moment that there are up to date copies of JAR-25, FAR-25 and CS.25 to be found elsewhere on the net, this aircraft will not be a part 25 aircraft as such.

Almost certainly the design team would need to negotiate with "the authority" a modified hybrid standard that is substantially different. This is inevitable, since what they're aiming for is neither a conventional aeroplane, nor a conventional helicopter.

For a smaller vehicle in the BA609 class, I'd expect that standard to be a composite of part 23 and part 27, for a later vehicle in the V-22 class, I'd anticipate a composite of part 25 and part 29. If it's military rather than civil, then a combination of Def-Stan 00-970 parts 1 and 2. Either way, there's going to be a requirement for considerable additional material based upon ongoing research into the aircraft class.

That said, the formal standards for cockpit design are fairly minimal in any of the civil standards and still leave room for improvement in the military standartds. Whilst they still need to be used and observed, in most cases best practice is going to be built upon research and the experienced opinions of people like John Farley. I'd personally be looking to the experiences of a range of pilots in both the fixed and rotary domains, although especially anybody who has either flown both, or flown vectored thrust vehicles such as Harrier or V22. Test Pilots are particularly valuable, because they're used to analysing their aircraft, not just flying them. I think that the National Flying Laboratory Centre at Cranfield has one person who has substantial flight test background in both fixed and rotary wing, although it's not the person previously mentioned.

You could also do worse than get hold of a copy of this book which will give many useful clues. Hopefully the Cranfield library has a copy, since it's rather expensive.

G

N.B. I've just used my moderators powers to amend the title of this thread to spell "cockpit" correctly - it was irritating me.