PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1time resignations
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2010, 10:03
Propellerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Shrike speaks truth.

I can't judge if it was different in the past, but in times like these, this seems to be the status quo and most of us will have to deal with it the best way we can. It is indeed also difficult to have the courage to transfer these things from a personal level to a group level and which attitude to adopt.

Keeping your mouth shut and doing your job just in order to leave for a seemingly better job - does that really make things better ? The very few companies that actually transformed for better conditions went through a process where a group of people actually stood together and fought for better conditions - and I am sure it also came at a price which in the long run seems to be well worth it - I don't think the guys at SAA are complaining. The biggest problem is that an individual or two can not accomplish this by themselves - the whole group needs to be behind them and it has to be extremely well organized.

I know it is wishful thinking - the problem is the individual: speaking under 4 eyes everybody voices equal feelings and there is mutual agreement. When push comes to shove many of those colleagues suddenly keep their mouth shut or might even back-stab you and turn 180°- no backbone whatsoever, making those that had the courage of initiative stand there like idiots. I have been in that situation myself (in a small scale) and to be honest - that is a true sign that something is very wrong in that working environment and it is time to take your hat. If you don't stand behind the people that are trying to improve the conditions of you workspace or push your demands then you are simply part of the problem. The other question is - do these people actually exist @1time - maybe they simply don't because nobody believes it is worthwhile. Maybe the basic business model of a low-cost does not allow any other possibility.

The biggest problem of the pilot is the other pilot - but guys, if you don't make a case and start working together outside the flightdeck you will achieve nothing. Ideally South Africa does need a pilots union. It is amazing what unions in other countries have achieved and the power they have i.e. Vereinigung Cockpit in Germany (It's the Lufthansa pilots union which is also open to all other pilots of other companies in the country - the last strike did achieve that their AItalia colleagues get the same contracts and benefits as themselves after the takeover and at the same time securing their own jobs). I know taking that example is far fetched - however even they started out as a small institution at one point in history.