PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2010, 01:45
PaulS87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused by CAA regualtions

Hi guys. I want to start a carrer in flying but because of my right eye I wont be able to pass a Class 1 medical at the moment, due to an astigmastism in my right eye.

Right eye, Sph +1.25 Cyl -5.00 Axis 15
Left eye, Sph -1.50

Iam considering LASIK eye surgery to correct the astigmastism. I was wondering if I would pass the CAA pre-op requirements? They only state a limit of +5.00 and -6.00 on their website, does that apply to astigmatisms?

Also if my op went without complications would I be in a better positon to aquire a medical pass assuming all the other non-vision criteria are met?

Paul

Edit: 19/11

I have had an assesment for LASIK eye surgery. They say they can get my left eye to 6/5 unaided and my right eye to less than 6/9 unaided and my binocular vision to 6/5 (right now with glasses my binocular vision is 6/6) . My right eye will always be weaker due to the complexity of the problem. Hopefully it will be a matter of when and not if I can ever fly commercially.

Any comments on this would be apprectiated espically for those that have been through this procedure.