PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 19th Nov 2010, 00:06
Tallsar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have little doubt that we should have continued with the introduction of the MRA4.....the capability gap (much wider than that created by the removal of MR2) the UK now has is a massive risk to our UK defence and homeland protection strategy, never mind what it might mean in the Falklands or any other maritime biased conflict we may well get drawn into in the next decade. Any government that says that, in such a destabilising world environment as we are all now facing, we can cope with such a gap (along with the other caability removals) is blind to the lessons of history...and we are the one nation that can draw on most of those lessons directly!
No, I was almost physically sick today when it was clear that the No10 spin doctors had persuaded the BBC to focus on the PMs visit to his deceased son's school (sad as that was), than show anything of his grilling by the HofCommons committee scrutinising the cuts. Sad to say though, that even if they had, the "distraction" of the removal of our carrier capability always seems to take centre stage...are our MPs that blind to the greater significance of MRA4's demise to our direct security now! Sadly I think they are