PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain why the MRA4 has been cancelled before we screw up big time.
Old 18th Nov 2010, 14:25
kiwibrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DFM
A pity that Kiwibrit doesn't understood Inglish tho.....
I can manage with my English, thanks.

Vettel has a rear mid-engine car with highly sophisticated multi-link suspension all round, and high-tech tyres and braking. It is highly streamlined. It bears almost no resemblance to a Model T - which had a transversely mounted semi-elliptical spring on the front and back axles, wooden wheels with primitive tyres, simple transmission braking, and the aerodynamics of a barn door.

In contrast, mechanically, there is a lot of similarity between the Nimrod and the Comet. When he designed the Model T, Ford would not have recognised what was going on in the Red Bull car, could he have seen it. On the other hand, De Havilland would have seen
the relationship between his airliner and the MPA.

To say
"I think Mr Vettel’s car was based on the same principals as a model T Ford and I thought it performed reasonably well on Sunday" rather suggests that there is as much similarity between Vettel's car and a Model T as there is between a Nimrod and a Comet. That is not the case. Thus the wisdom of using a tired design with direct provenance the 1940s remains open to question.