PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2010, 13:45
bearfoil

MFS

A disagreement, here. My French is most suspect. Your substitution of a new word falls short in my opinion, of establishing a mistake in translation as the source of "rile".

Whether aware, or "made aware", there is no public information that pilots did indeed "miss" anything whatever. I am guessing here, but I believe it is most difficult to Prove a Negative. On the CVR (my assumption only) is there a communication such as, "Je ne comprends pas le visage de "ECAM"? Or, "I think we have missed an important Prompt?"

"Sans que l'equipage de....." perceive? My own opinion is that this means "Without the (or such) ability to be aware" It is even worse in French than CONFiture has proposed, imo.

I rely on an American niece whose phD is in French linguistics. She was most helpful in providing an accurate meaning of "En Ligne de Vol", for example. It is a common trait of not only the French, but many others, whose ultimate refuge is "YOU" 'do not understand', an attempt at evading responsibilty for a "misunderstanding", when the intent is otherwise most clear. I am not saying this is exactly what has happened here, but the possibility is yet to be debunked. Another, and softer and lenient definition might be "Without the awareness of the crew (l'equipage: "team".)"

best regards,

bear

Last edited by bearfoil; 18th Nov 2010 at 15:50.