PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2010, 13:27
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
To be honest, I’m getting tired of that constant attitude from the BEA to protect Airbus :

Page 16 of its report, the BEA dares to write:
Between 15 h 04 and 15 h 06, angle of attack sensors 1 and 2 stopped moving and remained blocked until the end of the flight at almost identical local angles of attack and consistent with the cruise angle of attack, without the crew noticing it.

It is obvious that this expression aims to release Airbus responsibilities where we should read :
without the crew being informed
Actually, you're reacting to a TRANSLATION of the official report, which of course is in French. That states...
Entre 15 h 04 et 15 h 06, les sondes d’incidence 1 et 2 se bloquent et restent figées jusqu’à la fin du vol à des valeurs d’incidence locale quasi-identiques et cohérentes avec des valeurs d’incidence de croisière, sans que l’équipage le perçoive.
That last word is the one whose translation has you so riled. A transliteration would be "perceiving" and I think a good translation which would preserve the sense of the original would be...

without the crew being aware of it

This would be a more neutral phrasing in English and is I think more consistent with the French.

I don't think the choice of the English word was calculated to cast blame - translating a technical document such as this is not easy, since it requires a degree of technical and linguistic skill which few people have. Note, for example, the use of the term "blocked" instead of "jammed" or "frozen" which would probably be the preferred terms an anglophone engineer might use for the condition.