PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Pilot after being Dispatcher
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2010, 13:09
cheshireskies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I just add my thoughts to all this chit chat.

I am a dispatcher at Manchester and have absolutely no aspirations to be a pilot.

At the start of this past summer we needed to recruit several dispatchers for the summer season as, with most companies, our work load was about to double if not more. During the application process it became apparent that alot of applicants were indeed frozen ATPL "wannabee pilots".

We actually took a gamble and employed several frozen ATPL lads for the summer season and I must say, and wether it was that we hit lucky or what I dont know, but these guys have been absolutely top top lads and have even ALL been kept on beyond the summer season as our work load allowed us to offer extensions to their contracts. One has since been lucky enough to get a flying job and is now working his notice but the others remain with us and continue to do a great job.

Yes they do all like chatting to the crews and trying to get email addresses for chief pilots, training captains and the like but who can blame them?

And yes if we cant find them they are usually on the flight deck

I personally think it was a good idea to employ them as they did apply in the first place and sort of know the industry and I also think it has been a very useful insight they have gleened by working with us. I also believe that when they do styart flying
they will more understand our point of view and give us the respect we deserve which is usually sadly lacking from flight deck today.

cheshireskies