PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finger Trouble in the cockpit?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2002, 06:52
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Finger Trouble in the cockpit?

Scene1 : Brand new CPL with 150 plus hours doing instructors course. Whiteboard briefing includes statement that for normal straight and level fly four fingers attitude. For slow speed 55 knots cruise fly one finger attitude. For go-around fly four fingers.The CFI maintains that using "fingers" is standard instructor teaching.

Don't get me wrong - I am all for innovative methods of teaching - but goddam "fingers"?

I can just see it now. Student bounces and goes around. Has left hand on pole and places four fingers above the coaming while ignoring the rapidly decaying speed caused by no spare hand to open the throttle or retract the flaps to go-around position.

Spin-crash-ouch. Court of Inquiry gravely puts down cause of accident to finger trouble....

What happened to instructor demonstration technique? Watch how I do this Miss Bloggs. Note the nose attitude with reference to the horizon in S & L, climb, descent, and go-around. Note the artificial horizon attitude compared to outside attitude. None of this childish "fingers" stuff. What on earth are some flying instructors up to nowadays - and what clot is perpetuating such nonsense?

Scene 2. B737 go-around raw data manual (shudder, horror) flying. OK Mr Second Officer - rotate to three hands, two fingers and a thumb (all engines going). One engine inoperative go-around? Rotate to one hand and a thumb only.