PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2010, 10:07
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P51 Guy:
There is a newspaper in Spain that would love to hear what you have to say.
elmundo.es. Líder de información en español

But be careful with them.

PJ2:
Sorry for "TAWS", i mean't TOWS, which is the name for such system in other airplanes (I never flew MacDonell Douglas)

Gobonastick:
Humans are humans. We have very good pros and quite a few cons to be considered.

¿Haven't you ever paid lip service to a checklist? When I mean never I mean never. I have, a few times. I was lucky because it never coincided with critical items and other "cheese slices". I think there are men who will very very rarely do it, but no one with experience who has never done it. In fact, in my case at least, my "automonitoring system" learns from experience so the lapses and mistakes I have commited in the past are like vaccinations that make repetition os such errors much more difficult.

Human errors occur, so the system and the procedures should be error tolerant. If you insert a GW 100 tons too light, the computer should suggest you to check the weight a second time, for instance. That is why we have the TOWS, the GPWS, the TCAS...

In this case there is a chain of cheese slices, one of which is a couple of stressed pilots in a hurry.