PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you change the Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 23:03
golball59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for all your opinions guys and gals.

Anyway, all the opinions are much valued. Has given me a lot to think about.

fleigle, thanks for your advice and useful link, I want one of those!!! For the report I will of course be considering the cost of the project, however I feel it is not the main focus (the main focus being on how to improve the design if money was not in short supply perhaps), therefore it gives me more freedom to look at different materials etc.

......ohhh and either make it sit a little higher or have a "blunt" trailing edge on the flaps - flap impression on forehead not so cool when one walks into it.....
Something tells me you've had a bad experience of this in the past!!

Make the wing from composites - Lighter, & less parasitic drag
This is the sort of thing I was thinking about. I'm trying to imagine a 172 that could compete with the DA40 in terms of cruise speed, economy etc (not placing all my efforts on its cost, although it will be a factor)

I get the impression that everyone (including me, but i'm trying to be impartial) is 'concerned' about the useful load in relation to the 182, and that will be a big consederation. But I am trying to remain within the 180hp range as a maximum, and potentially looking at slightly lower powered diesel powerplants, too.

So, in summary so far, good changes would be the following:

Higher payload?
More efficient -C/S prop and maybe diesel?
Cheaper to buy?

Thanks