PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 17th Nov 2010, 16:49
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Flight Manual Emergency Procedures

Just an observation that many pilots seem to believe that the flight manual emergency procedures are written, reviewed and approved by a group of people sitting in offices far from the flight line. I cannot testify for Bell, Boeing, Eurocopter and the rest but I have some experience with what Sikorsky did and can attest that those procedures received a lot of review, to include the crowd who wear flight suits*. No one writes Land Immediately without considering the circumstances that might exist, be it over the swirling ocean or finding the lowest point of foliage over the jungle. The instruction is aimed at making a landing under control, because the alternative is a lot worse.
* As I am sure is the practice at the other manufacturers.

My copy of the S-92 manual is the basic 2002 manual as revised Sept 11, 2004, and it is clear that Land Immediately was called for if, after the bypass was selected ( MGB Oil Press warning on ), the pressure continued to decrease, OR ( my caps ) there are loud/unusual noises, unusual vibrations or progressively increasing power required to maintain flight.

That may have been modified after 2004, but the 2004 writing was pretty clear in that it was OR, not AND.

Thanks,
John Dixson