PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clark Institute of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 16:36
Bagoongathipon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@bennyboy
Spoiler! haha

@everyone,
I think everyone knows that there's really a shortage of pilots these days and the upcoming years. That is what CIA has anticipated. What happend the past 3-4years was a really really rough ride for MPLers. It may be because of bad management, bad program or just because the program is one of the first of its kind. I guess its inevitable. Airlines need pilots with type rating. Whether MPL training is better than the traditional SPL-PPL-CPL-ATPL or not, MPL still have the type rating. And the way I see it now, its a pilot's market now. That the pilot's have the upper hand. As long as he has the license, rating and currency.

..and since its a pilot market, lets just be happy for the pilots rather than pull them down. As long as you get a type rating and hours.. you are in demand!

Now if you ask if MPL pilots are ready for emergencies, PF duties, PNF duties, F/O duties, etc etc. I guess its the airline's job/responsibility to make sure that they are ready.

As one of the directors in one of the airline said, "They have the brains to do it!" So, why underestimate them? Why overestimate them? They're just the same pilots as the one who came from the traditional route, in a way that not all are good, not all are bad, some are really good, and some commits alot of mistakes, some learn fast, some learn really slow. But in time, in 1500hours or so.. what differs an MPL pilot with 1500hours of A320 flying against a CPL with 1500hours of flying with all sorts of single engine/multi engine aircraft? Who is better and worse? For me, its not in the program, but its in the pilot. How he copes up with the airline environment.

But, atleast, with MPL, you get to the airline after your training rather than going through what SPL-PPL-CPL has gone through. Its because of technology to be able to train pilots on aircrafts airlines use. For me, thats the only difference.