PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short Sunderland Flying Boats
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2002, 00:47
imabell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post sunderlands

my dad flew sunderlands out of pembroke dock and mountbatten from 40 to 45. he became the youngest wing commander of ten squadron raaf. i have many pages and audio tapes he wrote of his times away fighting.

after the war he kept flying the old boats around the pacific for ansett and in the early seventies took the last two of these aircraft to st thomas in the us virgin islands. they were operated by charlie blair, maureen o'hara and my dad throughout the carribean islands and did a few atlantic crossings one of these was documented and is a great adventure story.

the last of our sandringham variants is in the aerospace mueum in southhampton, still in ansett coulours. uder one wing is the supermarine that won the schneider cup for britain and under the other is a spitfire. it is a great museum.

the last flying sunderland was sold to kermit weeks and resides at the fantasy of flight hangar in florida.

i will be posting many flying boat pictures from their beginnings to today on my web site if you are interested. contact me through prune.