PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Somebody give me some advice
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 14:27
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things are very slowly picking up. By that I mean companies are not laying off like they were a year or two ago and the majors are starting to hire again, but this will consist of mainly high time guys getting back into the seat for the next couple of months, rather than the normal flow on from the minors - so don't make a hasty decision when people tell you that Air Canada is hiring so things must be good all over.

With a straight CPL/IR it is highly unlikely at this stage that you would get a flying job - unless you have up to 2,000 hours on beavers or caravans. You will probably end up working the ramp or a desk job for up to 2 years waiting to fly; however, note that I said unlikely, not impossible.

Like the last poster said, check AvCanada. That will indicate to you the type of jobs that are currently open and the time they are looking for. A lot of companies want higher time guys for insurance purposes so I normally advise not to apply for a gig if the hours seem out of proportion to the aircraft type (e.g. 3,000 TT, 1,500 PIC for a Navajo.) You only end up wasting your time and theirs.

Good luck.