PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you change the Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 07:54
nomorecatering

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I've done about 500 hrs (instructing) in new G1000 172 SP's (180Hp) in the last 16 months. Great training aeroplane.

Get a better stall warning system, it sounds like someone is strangling a cat.

The airvent system is good, but when taxiing with the wind at certain angles you get that flapping sound through the vents......i sooo hate that.

The seats are the most comfy in the business......are you listening PIPER. You seats suck.

G1000, what can I say, simply stunning.

Landing lights poor, having only 1 stuck out on the left wing, and underpowered at that is simply not good enough. Recently I saw a new 182 with landing lights on both sides...plus wingtip aftermarket landing lights. Lit up the runway like the Sydney Cricket Ground during a 20/20 night game.

Pitch control, way too light, when i converted to the cessna after doing 2500 hrs in the Warrior, every time i tried a medium level turn I i climbed 500ft.

Nav, position, beacon lights all LED or HID. Fantastic, never have to cancel a night nave because of blown globes. And it has drink holders, doesnt that make a difference.

The interior looks nice and professional, especially the instrument panel. But the interior is still flimsy and wont look so good after 4000 hrs TTIS. Sidewall trim, especially on the doors needs to be more durable.

Wish they would replace the toggle switches for landing lights n stropes etc. Pushbutton modern switches would be mush better.

Engine, good reliable unit and easy to start, but needs to be more fuel efficient. Bring on FADEC.

Electical system, S bus, M bus, volts and amps to a decimal place. WTF...Mr Cessna, I came from an era where the alternator was working or it wasnt, and you flight manual doesnt explain anything. Can someone in Cessna please write a flight manual that explains what this fancy stuff says....Im just a dumb instructor.

Overall I love the Cessna, but still would go for an Archer 111 with a G1000, and a better (fuel injected ) engine over the Cessna.

I forgot to add, the windscreen is great except in the corners wher the light distorts. At night there is a hirrible spot after liftoff, the runway light reflects high up in the windscreen as you pass through about 50 feet, the first time I had that happen, for split seconnd i thought I'd gone inverted. very uncomfortable feeling.

Only complaint about the G1000 is at night, there is not enough contrast between the symbols drawn on the screen and the back lighting.So when you turn the backlight up enough to see the data, there is so much light there is almost nil forward vis. Wish Garmin could fix that.