PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warning: Beware the Camera
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 06:28
heliduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Warning: Beware the Camera

Cairns chopper pilot 'busted' on You Tube

A YOUTUBE video is believed to have cost a Cairns helicopter pilot his job and more than $50,000 in court expenses, despite all charges of dangerous flying against him being dropped yesterday.
Tableland man John Quadrio claimed he was stood down by the tour operator he was working for, after the Civil Aviation Safety Authority charged him with eight aviation offences, including reckless and low flying and performing aerobatic manoeuvres.
A passenger in the front seat of the helicopter Mr Quadrio was flying during a tour in October 2008 is believed to have posted the footage online, which has since been removed.
The case was referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions, which dropped all charges against Mr Quadrio yesterday, after expert witnesses could not be sought to give evidence.
Mr Quadrio said he had suffered enormous financial strain with court costs of more than $50,000.
Mr Quadrio said CASA had prosecuted him without any substantial evidence, which saw him being stood down by his boss and suspended from flying for four months.
"I’m upset with the fact that a pilot like myself, who has five-plus years of experience and no background in breaking the law, can be prosecuted on the grounds of a bit of YouTube footage," he said.
"I had eight charges against me for just two turns."
Mr Quadrio said he had an excellent safety record and alleged the passenger who posted the internet video may have been trying to sensationalise his tourist experience.
He claimed the viewpoint from the video, taken on a mobile phone, made the helicopter appear as if it was flying at a steeper angle.
CASA said it could not comment on a case once it had been referred to the DPP.