PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2010, 01:07
Understated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a330pilotcanada
Over the years I have cultivated friendships amongst other airline pilots around the world and almost to man they are wondering how the pilots of Air Canada have developed such tunnel vision in this pursuit of staying longer in the job than they have to.
Disturbingly familar. Right out of the ACPA Age 60 Newsletter of December 11, 2006:

"They got to their positions, not because of any particular anointment – but simply because others left in front of them when it was their time to move into the next phase of their lives."

The ones with the tunnel vision are not those who wish to continue working. No. The ones with the tunnel vision are the ones who cannot see that the law that permitted mandatory retirement in Canada is no longer sustainable and that "staying longer in a job" is not something that a union or an employer continues to have any control over, period.

It is their vision of never changing, of fighting the inevitable, of maintaining the status quo, that is causing the damage here, not the vision of those who choose to extend their professional work life.

Originally Posted by a330pilotcanada
I will restate I have no interest in this other than to see the world wide regard for the pilots at Air Canada be brought back.
A good start along that path would be for Air Canada pilots to start respecting themselves by respecting their own peers who wish to work in an age discrimination-free work environment. How can we expect anybody to respect us when we don't respect ourselves?

Last edited by Understated; 17th Nov 2010 at 05:29.