PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autoland?
Thread: Autoland?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 19:12
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autoland

When the aircraft “autolands” it means that the autopilot(s) is (are) engaged and that automation is manipulating the flight controls and the engines throughout the approach, landing, and in some cases roll out on the runway. “Autoland” means automation executes the necessary tasks to land the airplane. The pilot’s hands and feet are close by and “guarding” the flight controls.

The pilots are critical part of this autoland equation. It is not as though one pushes a “land now” button sits back and sips a good cup of tea. When the aircraft is in autoland mode, both pilots are in an extremely strict and scripted monitoring role. Most deviations from the strictly scripted autoland procedure will result in the crew exiting the autoland mode and discontinuing the approach.

If a pilot were to “move the controls when the system is operating” significantly in the opposite direction then in some cases the system would disconnect and warn the crew. By design during autoland operations my hands and feet are not manipulating the controls, the autoland system is (I am poised [as if the First Officer should it be necessary] to immediately take over from the autoland system should it fail or I wish to discontinue the approach/autoland landing).

Autoland is possible:

1. Then the airplane is manufactured and certified to perform the operation.

2. The company has an approved autoland policy in place (This requires specific maintenance, training and oversight).

3. The runway is approved for that airline’s specific autoland procedure.
  • The airport has the necessary equipment, lighting and its runway is certified for autoland.
  • The weather is at or above the minimums required for the autoland approach procedure.

Last edited by Northbeach; 16th Nov 2010 at 20:01.