PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 16:01
Seldomfitforpurpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cazatou
Airborne Aircrew

The Chinook impacted at a Groundspeed assessed as 150 kts which is in excess of 250 ft per second. M It's about Ellacott stated "I then heard the the sound of a propellor going around for about four of five seconds and then I heard an explosion. Visibility at this time was only about 9 or 10 feet maximum". He then went on to say that he did not think that he could have been more than 100 yards from the point of the explosion.

The Chinook would have been at least 1000 ft from Mr Ellacott when he first heard it whilst he and his Brother in Law were looking for WW2 Aircraft Crash Sites. Mr Ellacott immediately set of towards the Crash Site whilst his Brother in Law went to the Lighthouse to raise the alarm.

I fail to see how you consider that I denigrated Mr Ellacott.
I suspect it would have been a considerably greater distance than a 1000' or roughly 340 yards from him when he first heard it. It's about the noisiest helicopter on the planet and as such you generally hear it ages before you ever see it and the notion that one could sneak up on you to less than 400 yards before you actually heard it is tosh.

Does rather mess with your timing calculations