PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sama Airlines
Thread: Sama Airlines
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 15:42
bizdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consultants

Just a point about the consultants. My understanding is that they were from a consultancy called Mango (check out their website). The name 'Mango' was created as all of the consultants were from the MANagement team that set up and ran the BA low cost carrier GO - hence MAN GO. These guys were experts in their respective field as demonstrated by the success of GO which was eventually sold to easyJet at a great profit.

I dont know the ins and outs of the Sama operation other than their Licence severly restricted them in what they could or couldnt do, plus what they were required to do (public service routes). Also I believe they did not get fuel subsidies that were enjoyed by Saudia. I doubt that the failure was down to the consultants - they are an easy target.

I am somewhat suprised that it did go bust though as the Chairman was a high ranking Saudi prince (name I cannot remember) whose father I believe is governor of the region which includes Mecca (or is it Jeddah) i.e. a person with influence.

I do agree though that flying Classics in that harsh environment was always going to be a challenge. Mind you, I have only been to KAS about 4 times but on each occasion the airports in JED and RUH have been bursting at the seams even at 03.00 in the morning so there must be good business to be had?

bizdev