PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 13:34
SteveCox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been lurking for a long time, only joined Pprune so I could read this wonderful thread, I mourned the loss of Regle with the rest of you. I was also interested to see mention of 578 squadron as that was the number of my old ATC squadron, not much of a link I know.

Anyway to business, I thought I'd have a look on the web and see if I could find the aircraft that Bossmofo refers to in his message that Cliffnemo reproduced above. In doing so I came across a website that some of you doing research may find useful.

The site address is: Lost Bombers - World War II Lost Bombers I hope I'm allowed to post links on my first message ?

The aircraft he refers to JD118 was flown by 78 squadron and was damaged in a raid to Leverkusen on 19th November 1943 but crash landed in Yorkshire, so his grandfather may have flown in it at sometime but not on that instance. However according to the website on the same raid HR950 MH-S was shot down over Germany and Bossmofo's grandfather and the other crew members are listed as being the crew. MH appears to be the code for 51 squadron.

Hope the above is of use to you.