PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-Questions, comments, bouquets & brickbats (Merged) II
Old 16th Nov 2010, 10:55
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took return flights with Ryanair from Stansted to Berlin this weekend so thought I'd humbly offer my two pence worth.

Someone posted a very insightful comment recently and I thought it was on this thread. It appears not and I can't for the life of me find it. Anyway, the general gist was that FR flights are generally very punctual, the 737-800 is a nice quiet aircraft and the only criticism the poster had was the incessant use of the PA system for advertising purposes.

I agree entirely.

Both my flights were punctual. The return flight actually arrived 15 minutes early. But I do agree the constant PAs are too much. There were so many! Try to sell: (1) the cabin crew calendar; (2) scratch cards; (3); food and drink (the menus were distributed before push-back and the safety demonstration?!); (d) duty free and gifts; (e) other sales-related PAs that I tried to ignore by turning up the volume on my iPod. The point is that on a 1.5 hour trip, these sales PAs make it very difficult to sit quietly and read or listen to music or a podcast without being constantly interrupted. And I know the response: "you paid less for your ticket, so be prepared for the hard sell on board". Fair enough, but in my experience easyJet and Wizzair do less promotional stuff.

The only other thing is that the CC are often quite under-confident with their English, which isn't especially reassuring. For example, the introduction along the lines: "The commander is "Captain Robert" and the First Officer is "First Officer James" sounds weird if you don't say "Captain Robert [Surname]! Have noticed this on other FR flights. Is it simply that the CC do not know the flight crew's full names?

Also, do all the FR 737s now have the plastic yellow seat-backs? I have previously flown on FR 737s which had navy blue upholstery rather than the dark blue "leather" seats and yellow seat-backs. IMHO, they were less garish, especially on night flights when the cabin is incredibly bright.