PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could this happen: a non-pilot landing a heavy jet ??
Old 21st Aug 2002, 20:15
Hippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intersting thread. Here's my 2p and a few questions relating to this extremely hypothetic scenario.

I am also a simmer and am very familiar with the software that Teropa uses. If anyone has used even the latest offering from Microsoft 'straight out of the box', make no mistake, this product bares no comparison. I am also an ATSA with 12yrs experience, so know a thing or two about real aviation.

Firstly, taking the chain-of-comand thing into question. I can see that the Senior Cabin Crew / Purser is going to be firmly in command. After all, he/she is likely to be the only person on board aware of the predicament, so I guess they are going to call ops and ask their advice. Surely one of the first actions they'll suggest is to find out if there are any licenced pilots on board. In Tero's scenario there are not, but he puts himself forward as an armchair pilot who is willing to assist.

A question for any CC that may be reading - Do you accept Tero's offer and invite him to the flight deck, or, do you decline his offer and report back to ops that you are on your own?

Let's assume you invite Tero to join you in the right hand seat. He sits down and carmly begins scanning the instruments, giving you a commentary of the current state of the aircraft. How will you use Tero?

Now, on to all this stuff about, the fit might be a bit different & my SOP's say you should do it this way not that way. Let's get real - Tero is going to be terofied, he has stated that there is a type-rated pilot on the radio - he is going to do exactly what he is told. Which brings me to another question. What are the chances of getting such a person on the radio? How long will it take? I know for a fact that we don't have them sitting in the ready room at LTCC waiting for such an event. What is the likelyhood of having one in your ops room? serious question - I dunno.

But anyway, we have SCC overseeing the operation, a pilot on the line & a chap who knows what flaps are & what they do, understands airspeed & recognises when it is not doing as instructed/anticipated, etc, etc - plus, he has a fair knowledge of where all the right (and wrong) buttons and levers are, what they are called and what they will do. Add to this, he is no stranger to basic ATC instructions. I give the team a very optamistic chance of bringing the bird down successfully - given ideal weather and fully servicable systems.

I know I could!

Rgds,
Hippy.

Tero - any chance of getting those screen shots onto the AVSIM or Flightsim screenshot forums?