PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: It's Too Late Mr. Joyce.
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2010, 07:14
AWB_Clerk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If any of you care about Australian workers then give them a chance to turn things around, they are not perfect but then who is!
I think you would find that the real staff and workers would turn it around if given the opportunity and input to what goes on.

The bashing of Qantas could be seen as that, however I see it more as people frustrated by the lack of interest by management to take onboard any worthwhile constructive criticism from its employees, and the bashing you see here is perhaps the only way to get it out there.

An example:
It annoys me when I see good workers being held back by from training due to "costs", or to try to work with equipment or spares not being available, but management deem it cost effective to paint the internal structure of hangars or offices when it is not needed ( have a look at one particular hangar at the moment and you would know what I am refering to). And why does this painting go on? It's so that management can point to something physical and say that they have done "something". It's an easy thing to do and shows "visual progress".

It would be a lot harder for management to point at AME Joe Blogs and say to the bean counters that we spent some dosh on training him to do xyz and as a result he has become more productive, efficient and useful to the company because in the end he still just looks like AME Joe Blogs.

Besides, what's the point in training Joe Blogs when much of the skill sets we would give him by training him are not needed as the work is outsourced or servicing contracts cancelled?

But the hangar looks bloody fantastic and everyone that sees it from the terminal windows on the other side of the slot will surely be impressed with the "image" presented to them by management only interested in looking good.

It's all window-dressing and image, it is nothing of real substance. And it is real obvious.

Until management start to see the potential in what they still have in the staff, and realise that good staff with good training will give them a better image than all the tins of paint on the planet, the bashing will continue. And I am all for it.

AWBC