PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Reserve Pilot Info?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2002, 19:38
Golford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

We RAFVR(T)s in current flying practise up North are a dying breed 'cos we have gone from 5 days a week ops, to Sundays only (in those months when the RAF is actually open, which ain't often). All the ex-mil civvy boys (and now me it seems) have given up in desperation as the only folk who can meet the criteria of 50 hours a year in the few days available are those who are able to guarantee every Sunday free, have no home life and are in recepit of a DHSS pension with free teeth.

I get the feeling that the AEF is not long for this world. Certainly the RAFVR can't get enough adults to run the Flights due to fear of being accused of sexual and/or physical harrassment due the climate of political correctness. Cranwell don't give a toss either as VR stuff is a backwater for the high flyer.

Give the full time auxiliaries a go if you have RAF wings, otherwise I suggest you forget it. They tried taking in civvies as QFIs a few years ago and only one guy made it ( Name and address supplied - I suspect the aforementioned exception ) . Incidentally for this new breed of officer (one only as it transpired...still serving) they produced 1000 new wings badges with VR in the middle instead of RAF.....needless to say there are 999 copies still in stores (but you can't have one as they maybe needed)...True!

If you want a fulfilling RAFVR career I suggest you hang slack until the local Flying Club takes over the role or they start using microlights (which was a serious option for a minute or two).

Gordon Bennett lives!